Isle of Wight Cricket

Double Delight For Ryde

For older news stories please visit the news archive page

The Island cricket season was finished off in spectacular fashion as an enthusiastic crowd watched Ventnor take on Ryde in the September Cup final on a bright, blustery day at Newclose County Cricket Ground.

The day got underway in the morning with the last game of the U13 September Cup competition. Ryde Rattlers had already secured the title the day before by beating Arreton at Harding Shute. But Ryde Raiders took on Ventnor in a close game that Ventnor come out on top.

The September Cup final toss was won by Ventnor Skipper Ross Whyte who decided to have a bowl. Opening bowlers Rob Snell (0-9) and George Willis (1-20) kept things very tight but could not remove either of Ryde’s two top batters. The break through come in the 10th over as Stuart Robertson was caught by Freddie Gurney of the bowling of Whyte for 15. At the half way point of Ryde innings they were on 52-1. Ventnor looked like they were going to keep Ryde to a low score as Freddie Gurney took the three wickets of Steve Tait (25), Ben Baker (9) and Julion Jayerajah for 3 leaving Ryde 80-4 with 9 over left. The speed of the innings changed when Ollie Morgan joined Ben Shannon in the middle and they put on 59run for the 5th wicket. Morgan hitting 37 off 25balls, including three big sixes. The partnership was broken when Shannon was caught behind by Oscar Vandercasteele off the bowling of Zeph Wells (1-45) for 26 and Morgan’s innings was brought to an end when he was caught by Snell in the deep offWillis. Will Mew added 12 of 9 balls and finished the innings for Ryde with Frank Gumley (2no). Setting Ventnor a target of 155 for the win.

Mark Fletcher (14) and Rob Snell (17) got Ventnor off to a good start as runs flowed, until Morgan’s fourth over, where he bowled Fletcher with his 1st ball and then had Snell caught by Shannon on the last ball of the same over leaving him with figures of 2-31 from his 6 overs

Whyte joined Martin Blackman in the middle and kept the scoreboard moving along nicely for Ventnor until Ryde’s skipper Robertson (3-20) brought himself back into the attack. He got his revenge by removing fellow skipper Whyte for 16 with his 3rd ball of the spell, then trapping Hugh Calloway LBW for 0 and bowling Vandercasteele first ball in the next over, reducing Ventnor to 71 for 5.

Charlie Calloway was bowled for 26 by Julion Jayerajah(1-22). Freddy Gurney joined Blackman at the crease needing 56 from 54 balls. Blackman (24) was starting to accelerate the scoring until Will Mew took a great catch off his own bowling to remove him. The ball being hit back at Mew, hitting his forearm and looping up to be caught. Mew had Zeph Wells caught in the deep by Robertson for 10. With Ventnor needing 12 to win off the last over it was looking Ryde’s game as Dan Charge and Gurney found boundaries hard to come by. Shannon was given the final over, first ball was a wide, second ball Gurney found the ropes for 4. 3 runs then came from the next two balls. Charge hit the 5th ball to mid-on. The throw came back in and was mis-fielded twice allowing Charge to scramble for three. That left two from 2 balls to win. The penultimate ball was pushed for a single by Gurney, meaning 1 to win or the game was tied. Shannon held his nerve as Charge missed out.

Game tied and Super Over. Ryde batted first and sent out Captain, Robertson and Ben Baker. Whyte took on the bowling responsibilities for Ventnor. Robertson clearing the ropes first ball for six and then following up with a couple of 4s meant Ryde set a challenging total of 20 to chase. Hugh Calloway hit 4 of Morgan’s first ball in reply, but was run out next ball trying to make a second. A no-ball gave Ventnor hope, but Man of the Match Morgan bowled out the over, giving Ryde a 6 run win in the Super Over.

web design by island webservices